The large-scale smuggling of migrants across international borders is a global threat to migration governance, national security and the well-being of migrants. Many migrants resort to using migrant smugglers when they do not have
the option of travelling through legal channels. Consequently, migrant smugglers have become an integral part of the irregular migration journey, and criminal networks profit significantly from this situation.
The International Organization for Migration’s (IOM) Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Division assists Member States to build and strengthen their capacity to directly intervene in and disrupt migrant smuggling operations, requiring coordination with legislative bodies, implementing effective border control measures and ensuring the concerted action of law enforcement agencies. IOM also assists in enhancing regional and international cooperation among key States and advocating for the exchange of best practices.
Below are the activities carried out in Viet Nam.
- Recent Projects
- Upholding the rights of migrant worker in SEZ by ensuring that supply chains are exploitation-free: Viet Nam, Cambodia, and Lao PDR
- Addressing Migrant Vulnerabilities to Prevent Human Trafficking and Protect Victims, Particularly Children, in Targeted Special Economic Zones and Economic Corridors in Cambodia, Lao PDR and Viet Nam
- Strengthening Government Capacity to Support Vulnerable Migrants in the Greater Mekong Sub-Region and Malaysia
- Capacity Building and Communication Campaign to Prevent People Smuggling in Viet Nam
- Public Information Campaign To Curb Irregular Migration From Vietnam To Australia
- Past Projects
- Building Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Capacity to Strengthen Counter-Human Trafficking in Viet Nam
- Expanding and leveraging community based-reintegration support for Vietnamese victims of human trafficking
- Addressing The Risks And Needs Of Vulnerable Migrants In The Greater Mekong Subregion And Malaysia Phase Iv: From Reducing Risks To Increasing Resilience
- Building Comprehensive Capacity To Combat Migrant Smuggling In Vietnam
- Addressing Internal and Labour Trafficking in Vietnam (AILTIV)
- Return and Reintegration of Trafficked and Other Vulnerable Vietnamese Women between Selected Countries in the Mekong Region, Phase II
- Comprehensive Return and Reintegration through Partnerships and Collaboration
- Combatting Human Trafficking in Viet Nam through through Capacity Building and Technical Assistance for the National Steering Committee and Law Enforcement Agencies
- Effective National Reintegration Model – Continuation on Ongoing Activities
- Viet Nam Reintegration Model Development
- Programme Assessment and Support for Policy Development in Return and Reintegration of Victims of Trafficking